- "I might not be the best sorcerer, but at least I'm not the worst? Eh, bet you never thought of it that way did you? I can see your the kind of glass half empty person. "
- —Xaphon's inability to properly pronounce the correct syllables when casting ancient daemonic summon rites does not diminish his ability to smooth talk
Xaphon is the chief sorcerer of the piratical Brethren of Spite and a devoted and loyal adviser to the Daemon prince Cain, on all arcane and daemonic matters. Achieving his current position through the bloody and untimely death of his predecessor Kremlin, at the hands of the Khornate Eldar Drow Thel, Xaphon is well known among the Brethren for his general incompetence, commonly miscasting his spells and causing strife through clumsiness rather than actual planning or scheming. Ultimately Xaphon - despite his bumbling nature- has proved a vital asset to the Brethren of Spite as a master (if not unpredictable) psyker and archiver of the Brethren's piratical acts.
- "I might have not learned much sorcery, but I did learn some valuable things. I watched as my brothers were consumed in their quest for knowledge, their desperation to find more and more power. Their greed destroyed them, their fragile and complex plans of conquest and rebellion, undone by their own hands. Yes, I watched as they turned on each other like feral dogs do. I refused this fate, I refused to become like them. I know my place, and I am grateful for it."
- — Xaphon
Xaphon was one of many inducted through 'flash' recruitment drives for more battle brothers to assist the separatist Brotherhood of Man against those loyal to Chapter Command during the short but bloody Civil War. Xaphon's psychic potential was detected, but never truly was nurtured in a proper state, or quickly dealt with by some lucky quirk of fate. The desperation to ensure the Chapters survival allowed Xaphon to enter with ease and find himself quickly promoted to the ranks of Librarian. Xaphon never received any real training or assistance in learning how to control and maintain his psychic abilities, the now Brethren of Spite Librarians quickly becoming narcissistic power hungry Chaos Sorcerers. Xaphon's attempts to follow in their footsteps were riddled with issues and problems, and almost instantly did he see the negative effects of his psychic might. Daemons hungered for his soul, while his attempts to make use of his abilities was almost certainly certain death for his allies. As Xaphon followed Cain and the rest of the Brethren of Spite into piracy and corsair acts, he continued his quest for knowledge.
While the Brethren looted worlds for their resources and treasures, Xaphon followed in their wake to loot ancient libraries and vaults for their arcane artefacts, or whatever was left. Xaphon's fellow psykers among the Brethren of Spite where themselves, dedicated to hunting for ancient artefacts, and watched from afar as they turned on each other and destroyed themselves through their consort with daemons. Xaphon learned quickly the danger of what he sought, and understood that he could never make the same mistakes as his brothers or suffer the same fate. However Xaphon's psychic ability soon began to eat away at him, daemons and other warp beasts sought to consume his mind or possess him. Xaphon could not sleep, or was plagued by poltergeist activity for days at a time. Quickly marked out as dangerous, Cain's inner circle advised the death of the sorcerer would be a route to take, but the Chaos Lord took an interest in Xaphon's power, and decided to keep the psyker in case he proved useful.
Xaphon's first well known successful act of magical might was upon an Imperial mining world, were Xaphon was among Cain's chosen who attacked the Imperium's command centre. It's defenders, an armoured regiment were mounting a notable defence, and were able to push back the Brethren of Spite's strike force. As Xaphon attempted to conjurer a portal to allow more of the Traitor astartes to join them, but instead caused a massive beam of light which incinerated over a dozen Leman Russ battle tanks. Their fuel tanks exploding and causing a mass chain reaction, Xaphon laid waste to the Imperial defenders through a mispronounced rite of teleportation. It mattered little to the other Brethren, who quickly marched into the Imperial fortress and massacred the survivors. Xaphon was commended by Cain, who promised the Chaos sorcerer he had a future among the Brethren.
Powers and abilities
- "Luck is a skill all in itself milord, I assure you of that. "
- —Xaphon's opinions on the concept of luck are disputed heavily by his comrades.
Xaphon is an exceptionally strong psyker, classed as Alpha tier, and is capable of exceptional feats and displays of arcane might, but suffers from a massive lack of training and mental ability to be able to properly use these gifts to their full might, not at least without putting his allies in exceptional danger. Xaphon's power is heavily hampered by his own sense of self doubt and mistrust, alongside his lack of focus and mostly self taught knowledge, much of it incorrect or incomplete. Xaphon is often successful due to luck more than skill, an excellent example of this would be when his attempt to summon a bolt of Tzeentch accidental incinerated a small column of Leman Russ battle tanks due to the mispronunciation of a single word. Xaphon's attempts to re-create such a spectacular display of power have only backfired, in once case, he accidentally killed off half of his small coven of Sorcerer followers. Xaphon passed this off as an execution of disloyal followers. Xaphon does enjoy however, an exceptional ability to produce bolts and arcs of lightning from the tips of his fingers, such a power can disable most foes, and even cause sensory overload. Xaphon enjoys this power so much that he makes an effort to cast or make use of it in every battle, even if it will cause harm to his allies. One of more Xaphon's more noticeable incidents was where he accidentally disables the Brethren of Spite ship known as The Infernal Spite after damaging it's vital systems with his arcs of lightning in an attempt to interrogate an Imperial Assassin. Xaphon's life was only saved through the success of his interrogation (he later realised he could simply pry through the man's shattered mind).
Xaphon's psychic might comes with a heavy cost however. His soul shines brightly in the warp, and scores of Daemons seek to feast on his mind, or possess him and make use of him as a gateway into real space. Xaphon spends much of his spare time trying to fend off such beings, and the effect on his mind has been somewhat poor. Xaphon suffers from all manner of aliments and health issues. Xaphon has luckily not had his conscious consumed, and has created several wards to stave away the hungering creatures from beyond the veil.
As a Space marine, Xaphon enjoys the entirety of the physical benefits of being an Astartes, including increased strength, stamina, and resilience. Xaphon however, like with his psychic powers, has a poor understanding of most of these assets. His physical combat prowess is lacking, his aim is poor and most of his weaponry is for show. Xaphon simply tries to stand far enough back from the fight in order to survive, or at least not be injured too severely. Xaphon's exceptional luck when it comes to sorcery does not seem to be shared by his physical combat abilities, and rarely does he attempt to get close with the enemy. Xaphon simply claims it's not his role to lead from the front, and claims that such an honour is reserved by Cain, or Drow Thel, along with other captains and leaders of the Brethren.
Xaphon is most commonly seen clad in baroque silver power armour, a collection of a number of suits re-fitted and repaired by Orion Strasse, further modified to support his psychic power. Etched and engraved with a variety of runic symbols of channeling, Xaphon's armour lights up with energy in combat. As common with Chaos space marines, Xaphon's power armour features exposed wiring and cables, bolted and riveted. Xaphon's helm is a vicious, scowling daemonic face, it's vox-grill appearing as the max of some horrid nether creature. Crowned by a mass of horns that crackle with magical energy, Xaphon's appearance is ultimately typical of a Chaos sorcerer. Black robes surround Xaphon's, often trailing behind him as he walks, which has proved a misfortune at times for the sorcerer.
- "I might have not summoned the Bloodthirster as you had wished Lord Cain, but ultimately the ritual still did annihilate the city as you had wished. And indeed, it was quite the spectacle was it not?"
- —Xaphon attempts to reason with Cain after his failure to invoke the rites of summoning for a Bloodthirster
Xaphon suffers from exceptional clumsiness. Poor awareness have harried his ability to lead many a time, though Xaphon understands this. Xaphon's self doubt, as much of a barrier as it is, also is excellent in allowing the sorcerer to understand his own flaws and issues. Xaphon's knows his limits and is fully aware of his weaknesses and inability, but possesses an excellent ability to defend himself and place even the poorest of scenarios into a somewhat positive light. Xaphon while incompetent, is in no way stupid, nor is he foolish. Xaphon is in some ways an excellent manipulator and liar, though his incompetence sullies his ability in the same way in sullies his powers. As with many other servants of Chaos, Xaphon is cruel and dominating, though he lacks the inert narcissism of others, his self doubt and mistrust too great to allow Xaphon any bouts of thematic's or egotistical tirades.
- "Mistakes can always be positive in their own special way, it's all a matter of perception. So what if I might have teleported our shock troops half way across the planet and far from their intimal target, the enemy is sure to be just as baffled as you Lord Cain. Imagine their faces!"
- "Milord, you must understand. Trying to pronounce Daemonic names and rites correctly is, somewhat difficult, and half the books and tomes they decide to write are ether in languages that were not meant for the eyes of mortals, or were inked in blood, blood! Blood doesn't even dry red, it dries brown, and the pages are tanned skin. What colour is tanned skin you say? It's brown! When I tome my own mémoire, I will assure you, it will be far easier to read."
- —Xaphon on the subject of Daemonic and sorcerers tomes and spell books
- "Daemons are fickle Lord Cain, so fickle that sometimes they like to provide false information, even lie. I'm sure you know this. Even when they create colossal tomes and several thousand page books of supposed supreme power do they like to continue this tradition. Half the books I learned from aren't even complete, and even then that information which survives is wrong, written in a several thousand year old dialect or a big joke. Did you know most of the teleportation rites within these spell books will probably turn the target inside out! I didn't know this until I practised a few times with your terminator guard. On and on that note I executed a group of 3 or so traitors from your inner circle. You don't have to thank me."
- "You have a bad situation? Friend I have had many, and still do, bad situations. Example, yesterday, the third Daemon this week was gnawing at my mind, trying to feast on my soul or some melodramatic tripe. Happens allot, starts to get at you, but know what? You gotta stay positive, ya know? I like to think of the daemons thirst for my soul as a bit of a compliment? I mean I get headaches, my nose bleeds, my eyes bleed, my ears bleed, sometimes I can't sleep, open up warp-rifts and all that shit but at least, at least I'm kind of important. I've got this far, lets see how further I can get. One day I might even be running things. Probably not going to be anytime soon, I need to learn allot, but hey, no need to give up on everything. Unless you serve Nurgle that is."
- — Xaphon
Feel free to add your own
- "Drow, for all his follies and mistakes, Xaphon possesses something the rest of my court does not. Xaphon possesses the rare trait of loyalty. He bends the truth yes, but if only to save his own skin, otherwise, he is quite a loyal and a fairly truthful servant. Do you know how many sorcerers I've went through? You know well enough they aren't a very loyal lot."
- —Cain to Drow Thel
- "I would watch thyself Lord Nazrimath, his powers are strong but destructive. He controls them no more then we control our Lord and Patron."
- —Bal'thazthor expressing caution about being around the Half-Wit Sorcerer
- "By the Emperor's rotting, stinking corpse, how are you still alive?"
- —Ingar Blackspawn upon seeing Xaphon attempt a complex summoning ritual
- "The virgin sorcerer, the chad rogue trader."