- "The Greenskins on Skytor couldn't kill me...Lucifero and House Devine couldn't kill me...Hive Fleet Leviathan, the Eldar, even my own fucking House couldn't kill me...YOU will not kill ME!"
- —Sir Jacob to Tau commander Ironhawk
Sir Jacob of Raline is an imperial Knight pilot hailing from the knight world of Raisa, and a member of Noble House of Cadmus. Sir Jacob is especially notable as he is not of noble birth, but was adopted by a Lord of Cadmus and raised as his son.
A simple man who takes great pride in his service to the Empire, Sir Jacob has proven time and again that his humble origins mean little in terms of his skill, despite what noble would say. To this day, he remains a stalwart guardian against the foes of the Imperium, even in the face of numerous loses in his life.
- "Where prey walks, I hunt..."
- —Sir Jacob's personal maxim
Little is known exactly about Jacobs humble origins, though it is known that he was adopted by Sir Aldritch the Old at the Battle of Skytor, where an Ork Warband overran a mining settlement. The Old lord found the terrified orphan and took pity on him, and took him in as his son and heir.
Naturally, a High Born adopting a Low Born was unheard of and drew much condemnation. Aldritch thought nothing of it and simply called on a favor from The current King of Raisa. Baron Roland reluctantly permitted Aldritch to raise the child but denied Jacob permission to train for Knight piloting. The council of Cadmus would convene on Jacobs 18th birthday and evaluate if he was worthy of such an honor.
In the Forests of Raisa, Jacob learned the Way of the Warrior and the Path of the Hunter. Though a hard teacher, Jacob grew to love his adopted father and the sprawling forests of Raisa. Furthermore, Jacob also constructed a shrine in the hall of his adoptive father to his true parents, and regularly prayed for their intercession.
On Jacob's 18th birthday, the council of Cadmus convened and called on Aldritch and Jacob to state their case. Aldritch shocked everyone in the room by stating that nobility is not something given, but earned, and that Jacob had earned his place in Nobility. Unconvinced, the council agreed to a trial by arms, and pitted Jacob against three knights in hand to hand combat. In a spectacular display of martial prowess, Jacob beat the three knights bloody, one of which was none other than Sir William. This would spark the beginning of their bitter rivalry. Thoroughly impressed the council capitulated and permitted Jacob to train for Walker combat.
- "You're the scum who slaughtered the village? In the name of the Emperor and by my rank as a Knight of Cadmus, I sentence you to immediate death. Your request for a trial is denied."
- —Sir Jacob to Vritra the Howler
Jacob excelled in Walker training and grew to be one of the best pilots Cadmus had to offer. So talented, in fact, that the High Nobles of Raisa feared this outsider. They began placing sanctions and ridiculous rules that prevented Jacob from seeing combat, denying him glory on the battlefield. Many times the Knights would leave Jacob behind to stew in his frustration over "Boots two weeks past regulation." On Jacob's 21st birthday, an increasingly ill Sir Aldritch bestowed on his son his beloved Knight Warden, Thunder Walker, as well as his title and holdings. Jacob would never have a chance to express his profound gratitude and pride, for Sir Aldritch the Old passed away two days later. Sir Jacob was now Lord of Raline.
When House Cadmus was called on to fight for the emperor on Tornax, an important Forge World, Sir Jacob stormed Swinford Hall, the Keep of Baron Roland himself, in his Knight Warden and presented himself to the King of Raisa. He point blank demanded permission to join the assault for the Glory of the Empire and the Honor of House Cadmus. Under usual circumstances, Baron Roland would have had the impudent upstart executed. But Roland valued initiative, and Jacob's case was forceful just enough for the Baron to give his permission. Sir William objected vehemently, but the decision had been made.
on 992.M41, Sir Jacob deployed onto Tornax along side Baron Orlando and Sir Malcolm, fighting an invading Ork army. Sir Jacob won fame at this battle, saving the life of Baron Orlando by destroying an Ork Stompa single-handed. He also earned the title Ork Crusher, due to his enjoyment of stepping on Orks as if they were roaches. There was a tense moment though. During the course of the battle, Sir William and Sir Jacob were tasked with rooting out the remaining orks from the bunkers. Jacob formed the plan; Using his heavy flamer, he would drive the Orks out of the turret nests and into the open where Sir William would eliminate them with his Rapid fire Cannon. However when the Orks fled to escape Jacob's Flamer, Sir William opened fire without giving Sir Jacob time to escape. He was unharmed, but the incident only deepened their mutual resentment.
Sir Jacob also went on to fight at the battle of Gryphonne IV in 997.M41. Though his task was largely underscored by the heroism of Sir Malcom and Baron Roland, it is worthy of note that his efforts bought valuable time for evacuation ships.
In his combat career, Sir Jacob also became highly respected and loved by the Imperial Guards. Sir Jacob empathized greatly with the common soldiers, given his origins, and defended them ferociously. In one battle against an Ork seized stronghold, Sir Jacob cleverly interpreted his orders to involve defending Imperial Guardsmen battalions that were taking the city. His actions not only ensured victory for the Imperium, but also doing so with far less loss of life than anticipated. Legend says that after the battle, a furious Commissar demanded to know why he had disobeyed orders and threatened to execute the young knight for insubordination. Sir Jacob merely held eye contact (with a bolter pressed against his forehead) and stated that his orders were to take the city and asked if he was to be executed for doing his job better than expected. He then turned on his heel and left the Commissar speechless.
Currently, Sir Jacob has come to blows with Lucifero the Unmarked, a dangerous foe of Chaos. Lucifero has declared war on the House of Cadmus, and specifically, Sir Jacob.
- "He has the heart of a Knight, loyal, courageous and noble, but the mind of a thief, cunning, quick...cruel..." "My Lord thinks it was wrong to knight him?" "Nay, we need MORE of his kind...""
- —Baron Roland and Sir Rodrick on Sir Jacob
Jacob is a man of few words but is not afraid to speak his mind. Indeed, many in the House of Cadmus and even in higher Imperium Orders, such as the Inquisition, hold that his humble birth gave him a "rebellious streak." Jacob has no qualms making objections to orders he knows will cost the Imperium dearly. Jacob has reasoned, "It makes no difference if we take the field and still die." He has been labeled a coward and traitor, though mostly this is due to detractors trying to hold him down. The Inquisition itself has dispatched the infamous Inquisitor Greyon Autaris to launch an investigation into the accusations no less than three times and found him guiltless on all accounts.
Because of his Low Birth, Sir Jacob has had to put up with much discrimination and ridicule. While this irks him, he instead channels his frustration into more positive venues, such as training, writing and music.
He also became romantically involved with Captain Celestina Neverone, a medical officer stationed on Raisa. Wooing her was quite the experience. As Jacob has no experience in romantic matters, he consults his Sacristan friend Weasel for advice. This in turn often led the two on amusing misadventures in an attempt for Jacob to win her affection. Eventually, Jacob succeeded and married her on 998.M41.
He is a selfless and loyal man, fighting ferociously for the defence of the Imperial Guard. Jacob detests the notion of how disposable soldiers of the Imperium are and has frequently sought to bring his Knight Warden to their aid. To Jacob it doesn't matter if it is a Brigade of Ultramarines or a single guardsman. If he knows he saved someone from their fate, he can sleep peacefully at night. His actions have earned him a special place of respect in armies throughout the Imperium, as well as the title, Defender of the Guards. Soldiers cheer when they see Thunder Walker striding into the thick of battle, for they know its pilot values victories not only in ground gained, but also in lives saved.
Sir Jacob has a burning hatred for the Orks. Holding them personally responsible for the deaths of his true parents, he relishes bringing his Avenger Cannon to bear against them.
Equipment and Skills
- "Lets drop YOU in the middle of my forests with nothing but the shirt on your back in the middle of the cloudy night, with fuck all to see and no idea which way to go...you'd be dead in half a minute."
- —Sir Jacob to Douchard Bagge.
Sir Jacob has a variety of equipment that he uses both in and out of his Knight walker.
- Adjudicator Pattern Slug Gun This .45 caliber pistol is Sir Jacob's side arm. He carries it with into the thickest of battle. Sir Jacob's pistol has been heavily modified thanks to Weasel, and shoots a wide variety of ammo types.
- Farsight Telescope This handy tool is used by Sir Jacob to read stars and see far off objectives.
- Lighter of Zippo This incredibly ancient lighter is a good luck charm for Sir Jacob. He has had it ever since he could remember. It is also used for a practical use, lighting up cigars so he and Weasel can celebrate another victory for the Imperium
- Fire Extinguisher Occasionally, things get hot in Thunder Walker's cockpit. This small unit, able to be worn on his belt, takes care of that.
Sir Jacob is also quite skilled, capable of numerous feats.
- Hand to Hand Combat Sir Jacob is a master of close quarters brawling. Sir Aldritch the Old taught him the graceful and deadly moves of an Imperial Knight and Weasel filled in the simple and effective basics of Street Fighting.
- Expert Marksman whether it is with his Adjudicator or his Avenger Cannon, Sir Jacob is renowned for landing the shot where it counts on Raisa.
- Expert Hunter and Tracker On Raisa, you survive by hunting. Sir Aldritch the Old instilled great patience and efficiency in Sir Jacob, reminding him that if you strike at the wrong time, your chance is forever lost.
- Piloting Skills A Knight Warden is a Pattern of Knight that excels in Bunker Busting, City Fighting and Close Engagements. Sir Jacob, along with fellow Knight Warden pilot Baron Orlando, are the premier examples of Knight Warden usage on Raisa, possibly the Galaxy.
- Survivalist If for any reason, Sir Jacob must abandon his armor, he is skilled enough to survive on his own. One of Sir Aldritch's old training techniques would be to drop him in the middle of the night in the Forests of Raisa, which brimmed with beasts and abhumans. Failure to find his way back to Raline Castle easily meant death.
- "My feet are your feet, my weapons are your weapons. My rage is your rage, and my glory is forever your glory."
- —Sir Jacob prays to the Machine Spirit in Thunder Walker
Sir Jacob pilots Thunder Walker, an old Knight Warden that used to belong to his adoptive father, Sir Aldritch the Old. When Jacob first made contact with the Machine Spirit within while sitting upon the Throne Mechanicum, Sir Jacob was filled with a desire to serve others and prove his worth to the Imperium. Thunder Walker responded in kind and not only bonded strongly with Sir Jacob, but left a mental copy of its imprint in Jacob's mind, connecting him to his machine at all times passively.
Thunder Walker is armed with a Avenger Gatling Cannon and heavy Flamer on its right shoulder and a Reaper Chainsword slung under the left. On top of the carapace are twin linked Icarus Autocannons. The Heavy Stubber sits on the left side chest of the machine.
Notable of Thunder Walker is the paint scheme. Both forward spaldrons are painted yellow with green stripes, making the machine instantly recognizable to Imperial units. Also different is the face plate of the knight; it is the face of a Knight Errant.
The Machine Spirit in Thunder Walker is a unique kind, even among older suits. It seems to be protective of Sir Jacob, and he has often claimed that it has taken over control of the suit to save him from seemingly certain doom.
The Kaderak Incident
- "A.k.a, Why Totenkinder needs ta be shot 'n da balls."
Though certainly a good man with many virtues, Sir Jacob is nonetheless a man, and has his flaws, notably his temper. Never was this more evident than the disastrous mission on the planet Kaderak.
House Cadmus was deployed to assist the Inquisition to apprehend a group of mutant terrorists. To Sir Jacobs great misfortune, he was assigned to Inquisitor Mord Boswicht von Totenkinder's detail. Neither men especially liked one another, and tensions were high before they even stepped off.
Ultimately, Sir Jacob resolved to suck it up, but Totenkinder, relishing his power over the knight, worked Jacob mercilessly, making him pull patrol after patrol after pointless patrol, refusing to allow him sleep or food. Sir Jacob requested to be transferred to another team, but Baron Orlando was powerless; the Lord Inquisitor Glamhem and Baron Roland were calling the shots right now, and they were off planet.
After the third week of hell it seemed, Sir Jacob had enough. He deliberately disobeyed an order from Totenkinder to do better things (namely, assisting a local village build a new dam.) When he returned to the firebase, Totenkinder went off on Sir Jacob for insubordination. When Jacob angrily pointed out how he was a failure of an Inquisitor, Totenkinder cited how he had experienced the worst of the galaxy, and was thus immune from his judgment. The self righteous rant did it, and Sir Jacob angrily gave Totenkinder a piece of his mind, consequences be damned. The two of them ended up in a rather childish shouting match that alerted the mutant terrorists to their presence. Panicking, one set off a mutagen bomb in the village Jacob just assisted, turning the inhabitants into monsters.
Enraged at their failure, Baron Roland gave both men a severe dressing down, and ordered as penance that they where to resolve the mess themselves (via flamers). After several days of burning monsters and wanting very much to burn one another, the two bid good riddance and went their separate ways.
- "I've been called many things...but nothing cuts deeper than a brother knight calling me Gangborn..."
- —Sir Jacob
The title Gangborn is an extremely derogatory statement usually used by nobility, high lords and few certain Rogue Traders. Gangborn refers to a person of low birth who has no knowledge of his lineage. It is considered an even worse term than Bastard, since bastards could be on a scale anywhere in the socioeconomic ladder. Gangborn refers to the lowest of the low, and implies many things at once, first and most obviously, that the person's mother was a whore in a gang.
It is considered a most disparaging insult to call some one a Gangborn. Calling a high noble Gangborn is considered unforgivable and typically leads to duels or assassinations. High Nobles, however, can call Lower Nobles Gangborn and be relatively free from retribution, since in most noble courts, challenging up is usually frowned upon.
Sir Jacob is regularly referred to as Gangborn or The Gangborn Knight. He despises the title, but has accepted his unknown heritage.
- "Whats the first rule of a fight? Gather all your allies..."
- —Sir Jacob before deploying on Gryphonne IV(Add Your Own!)
The impetuous and sardonic Sacristan of House Cadmus accompanies Sir Jacob on almost every campaign. In many ways, he is Jacob's anchor, loyal and helpful and ever concerned for his friend. Weasel does not take battle lightly, and knows that being strapped inside a 35 foot tall equivalent of a walking battleship does not exempt one from death. As such he often (illegally) uses contraband parts and forbidden programming to overclock Thunder Walkers capabilities, determined to give Sir Jacob every advantage on the field.
If Weasel is Sir Jacob's anchor, then Celestina was his guiding beacon home. His recently deceased wife, Captain-Sister Celestina Neverone was a former Sister of Battle who was released from her vows. Years of warfare since her early childhood years began to take too much of a toll on Celestina, wanting to save lives instead of end them. Her Abbess knew that her heart was in the right place, and released her only on the condition that she still remained in the field, or at least "Close by to it." Turning to medicine, Celestina became a combat medic and eventually a field doctor. She was stationed on Raisa as the Planet's foremost doctor and surgeon. Tragically, she was killed by Valkyura Warpschild after a titanic battle between the two during the Invasion of Raisa.
An ancient Eldar with a nonchalont attitude towards humanity, Sir Jacob has had numerous contact with the wise mystic. Strange as it seems, he seems to accept that the Eldar race has run its course and are dying, but is determined to teach humanity so they do not make the same mistakes. Though (somewhat) welcome on Raisa, he is met with derision and skepticism by most, including Jacob from time to time. But the secrets and lessons that Essarrad has taught have proved invaluable, and Sir Jacob intends to let more friendly elements of the Inquisition apprehend his odd ally for questioning. It is also from Essarrad that Sir Jacob gained the name Kazi'bann, which, eerily, supposedly translates to "He who returns from Death."
- "I don't care you're a Space Marine! They're dying out there. If you want to cower, fine. Stay here like a good little bitch and watch a real man fight."
- —Sir Jacob to a Space Marine Captain who Ordered him to stop helping the Imperial Guards
- "We are ALL the Emperor's children"
- —To a guard who asked why he saved him.
- "Hmm? What's that Sir William? Couldn't hear you over the sound of my Reaper stealing your glory!"
- —Sir Jacob taunts Sir William during battle
- "I'm tired, damn it! I'm fucking sick and tired of it!! Everytime I think something is leveling out, bam, they're gone. My Parents. Sir Aldritch. Now Celestina. It's gotta stop. The Emperor cannot continue to take people from me...or I'm gonna have nothing left..."
- —A distraught Jacob to Weasel and Inquisitor Flux after the battle of Raisa
- "Sir Jacob... You don't believe I came here to kill you did you? When Lucifero asked me to join him here, I came in order to secure a valuable ally, but I have had so much fun, I couldn't bear your death. Your lovely Celestina though... she was a delight to flay."
- —Valkyura Warpschild taunting Sir Jacob before retreating to the warp.
- "You need to open your eyes, Kazi'bann. I am not asking you to discard your beliefs, religions or opinions...I would never ask that of a sentient creature. But you must see, child...the path your people walk is the same mine walked...and it leads to ruination..."
- —Essarrad during one of his lessons to Sir Jacob
- "I have been watching you, Sir Jacob. I needed to know what Lucifero saw in you, what he fears in you. To have mastered your suit, and to be accepted by it despite your origins...you're one of a kind, brave knight. When we meet on the field, please promise me you will hold nothing back."
- "Noble or Gangborn, your titles mean nothing. Your victories mean nothing. The pitiful mortals you try so desperately to defend mean nothing. All you are is one more sad little child in this uncaring cosmos, maggots growing fat on the corpse of the Imperium that I and my brothers built. I will despoil your world just like I did Terra, and what people I deign to leave alive will curse your name for failing to save them."
- "I will tell you a secret, dear boy. It doesn't matter where you come from, or what titles or lands you hold. The only thing the Emperor cares about is how many of his enemies perish in flame in your targeting reticules. Being born does not make one noble, lad. Nobility is earned, and proven day by day."
- "Careful how you speak Knight, you have more to lose than you know. Still I cannot help but respect your resolve, while not my current prey I know much about Valkyura. In particular, I think I can introduce you to some allies who will be more than happy to help you kill her..."
- —Inquisitor Justin Dall defusing a tense situation
- "YOUR HOUSE HELPED RECOVER ARCHEOTECH ON CADMUS-6. MANY BATTLEFIELDS CALL FOR OUR AID, BUT, FOR YOU, BATTLE GROUP NULL OF THE LEGIO INFELICIS WILL WALK."
- —Princeps Null of the Warmaster-Titan Wrath of Incus
- "What can I say, I'm a total sucker for true love."
- —St. Athaliah the Flame agreeing to do something really stupid.
- "Raline, I really need to warn you against doing anything stupid. Even if your probably half-baked plan even works, the fallout will be massive. That said, trust Dell but keep an eye on him, never accept any sort of gift from warp entities, and turn left. You'll know what I mean."
- —Inquisitor Jacob Flux giving cryptic advice to Sir Jacob
- The color purple gives him a headache
- Sir Jacob has won the Cull once, just barely beating Baron Roland on 998.M41
- Sir Jacob is a Musician and enjoys music in his free time
- He is also a writer, and has written a book, Annals of the Low Knight, a devotional for soldiers in hardship. It is popular with Commissars who issue the book to soldiers in the field.
- Sir Jacob's theme is Vice Grip. Deal with it Douchard.