The Iron Praetorians is a 23rd Founding Chapter that is Codex Compliant Fleet based. The Chapter is a Imperial Fist successor Chapter. The Iron Praetorians Chapter is known to excel in the Shock and Awe combat doctrine. The Chapter is known to posses more Land Raider Helios variant than any other chapters.
The Iron Praetorians are a Successor Chapter raised from the Imperial Fists genestock. They were founded during the 23rd 'Sentinel' Founding during the latter part of the 37th Millennium as a standing force in Segmentum Tempestus.
As a Codex Compliant Chapter, the Iron Praetorians organize themselves per the Codex.
The 1st is known as the Eagle Cohort
2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Cohort are known as the Shock Cohort.
6th, 7th 8th and 9th Cohorts are known as the Evocati Cohort.
The 10th Cohort is known as the Auxilla Cohort.
The Chapter form Legio (Strikeforce) to deal with the myriad dangers that plague the Imperium. The main fleet of the Chapter acts as both a staging ground and as a transport fleet. The main fleet primary purpose is to travel to and fro from one Castra Ferrum (Chapter Keep) to another, constantly picking up new recruits from numerous Castra Ferrum throughout the Imperium. Legios are formed when either there's an astropathic call for help or when the need to form arises. To date, the Chapter currently have 2 active Legios deployed throughout the Imperium.
The Iron Praetorian order of battle consists of ranks not found in other Space Marine Chapters including:
- Praetor - The Praetor is the senior ranking Astartes of the Iron Praetorian Chapter, and is equivalent to the Codex Astartes Chapter Master.
- Legatus - Legatus are Battle Brothers of the Chapter that have proven themselves in both the heat of battle and the tatical command as a Centurion leading their Cohort in battle. The Legatus is in charge of his Legio(Strike Force) and is responsible in leading them into any battle or conflict and coming out as victors. The Legatus is the Codex equivalent of the rank Force Commander.
- Castra Principes - Castra Principes is in command of the Chapter's Castra Ferrum (Chapter Keeps) and is responsible for the recruitment of the new recruits for the Chapter. However, they are not included in the Chapter's Order of Battle and are considered as Officers of the Chapter.
- Centurion - Those that held the rank Centurion is in charge of leading their Cohort into battle and responsible of training of Legionaries of the Chapter.
- Eagles - The veterans of the Chapter Eagle Cohorts. The Codex Equivalent of the rank Veteran.
- Quaestor - The Codex Equivalent of the rank Emperor's Champion.
- Decurion - The codex equivalent of the rank sergeant.
- Legionary - Astartes of the Iron Praetorian are known as Legionary within the Chapter.
- Probatio - Probatio (Neophyte) are new recruits that are recently initated into the Chapter. They start out in the 10th Auxilla Cohort.
Order of Battle
The following represents the order of battle of the Iron Praetorians Chapter as it currently stands:
1 Mars-class Battlecruiser
|Eagle Cohort||Shock Cohorts|
|1st Cohort||2nd Cohort||3rd Cohort||4th Cohort||5th Cohort|
|Evocati Cohorts||Auxilla Cohort|
|6st Cohort||7nd Cohort||8rd Cohort||9th Cohort||10th Cohort|
The Iron Praetorian doesn't have any set worlds to recruit from as they are a Fleet-based chapter. As such, the Iron Praetorian constructs Chapter keeps on worlds that interest them. As long as the world population are within acceptable range of recruitment, the Iron Praetorian construct Chapter Keeps on either worlds that they have fought on or worlds that they visited during their patrols. The worlds that the Iron Praetorian have recruited from ranges from Segmentum Solar to Segmentum Tempestus.
The Iron Praetorian currently have 3 fully functional Castra Ferrum (Chapter Keeps) located at the Eastern Quardrant of Segmentum Tempestus.
- The Battle of Nova Prime (Unknown Date.M37) - During the early years of the Iron Praetorians numerous battles against the enemies of the Imperium. It was the Battle of Nova Prime in the Eastern Quadrant of Segmentum Tempestus that the entire Chapter encountered an Ork Waagh that have landed on an Industrious Hive World, Nova Prime. At that time, the Chapter were still experimenting with battle tactics and on that day, the Iron Praetorians were experimenting the Shock and Awe Tactic for the first time. Within minutes of acquiring the strategic and important targets of the Ork Waagh, the Iron Praetorians launched massive bombardment on the selected targets. Minutes after the bombardment, coordinated Drop Pods assault and Thunderhawk Gunships landings move to clear any orks that remain alive. The ensuing battles were short and bloody but the results were clear, the Waagh had lost their Warlord and other Ork Warbosses resulting in the Waaagh turning unto themselves. Ensuring that the local PDF and Imperial Guard Forces on the planet were capable of defeating the remaining Orks, the Chapter left Nova Prime victorious. Chapter Command took note of the Shock and Awe tactic and categorize it as a potential candidate for the Iron Praetorians Combat Doctrine.
- Times of Woe (M38) - The Chapter was at it's peak, flushed with victories and glorious achievements one after the other. At an unprecedented move, the Iron Praetorians decided to form three Legios (Strike-Force) of three cohort strong to seek out the Emperor's Enemies and earn more accolades for the Chapter. Of the ten cohorts, only the battered 3rd remain to replenish and rest their battle ranks. The 1st, 5th and 10th form Legio Furio, the 4th, 6th and 7th form Legio Varus and the 2nd, 8th and 9th form Legio Donia. All three Legios set forth almost simultaneously while the 3rd Cohort remain behind at one of the recruiting worlds of the Chapter. Of the three Legios, Legio Furio was victorious in engaging numerous enemies of the Imperium and returned after several standard Terran years with minimal losses. Then events took a turn, for Legio Varus encountered an unknown xeno force, possibly Hrud, which they never faced before and suffered massive losses only to limp back to the Chapter with several dozen survivors. The Chapter reasoned that with the succesful conclusion of Legio Furio, the losses of Legio Varus was deemed an acceptable loss only to curse their arrogance and folly later on. For the last legio, Legio Donia, there were no word or communication from the Legio once it entered the warp. The Chapter maintain constant vigil, trust in the Emperor's Faith that their erstwhile brother legionnaires will return to them. But that was not to be for after ten standard terran years, Legio Donia was declared lost in warp. The Chapter were left with less than half their number and it will take the Iron Praetorians long years before regaining their full strength.
- Cancidrae Xenocide (M40) - With the discovery of the foul Xenos known as the Amphra, the Iron Praetorian heeded the call of the Cancidrae Crusade Command and formed and dispatched Legio (Strikeforce) Trion which consist of the 1st, 6th and 9th Cohorts totaling 300 legionnaires led by Legatus Fenix. The Legio first saw battle during the Second Siege of Korinthos where 1st Cohort saved the Crusade Command from elite xeno forces. During the latter stages of the crusade, the 6th Cohort suffered heavy casaulties engaging the enemy at the attempt of relieving the forces of Northwatch Bastion.
- The Solar Rampage (M41) - When the Krymzon Tyd Waaagh invaded the Imperium at Segmentum Obscurus, the Iron Praetorian received astropathic call for aid. Chapter Command held counsel and dispatch the 3rd and 8th Cohort to form a Legio(Strike-force) to push back the green tide. (Work in Progress)
- The Abruptia Crusade (M41) - When the call for a Crusade to rid the Abruptia Sector of Xenos was sent out, the Iron Praetorian heed the call. However, the Chapter have sent out two Legios to draw blood of the Imperium myriad enemies and could only sent forth the 7th Cohort to partake in the Crusade. Setting out in the Ilphirim, the 7th Cohort would reach the Crusade staging grounds within weeks. (Work in Progress)
Chapter Combat Doctrine
Following their founding, The Iron Praetorian Chapter at first did not set on any particular combat tactics in the Codex but collectively decided to experiment all forms of combat tactics and doctrines in battle. After 200 standard Terran Years of battles after battles, the Chapter found that they excel first and foremost in the Shock and Awe combat doctrine, followed by Siege Warfare of their primogenitors, the Imperial Fists.
The Iron Praetorians decided to adopt the Shock and Awe tactic as their Primary Combat Doctrine with Siege Warfare as their secondary. Although, the Chapter is Codex Compliant, they also utilize other tactics when the need arises and adapt to the situation at hand.
When the Chapter arrives in any theater of war, they would seek all information on the enemy before attacking. Once they discovered the enemy's strategic locations, the Chapter will launch an orbital bombardment to destroy any form of hardpoints and defenses followed by drop pods and gunship assault to mop up any remaining enemies. If the option of orbital bombardment is not available due to circumstances or the odds are against it, the Chapter then select a location near their target and land their armored and rapid assault forces.
Due to the Iron Praetorians favoring the Land Raider Helios variant over all others, the Chapter base their armored force formation around the Land Raider Helios. While the armored force bombard the enemy at close range, the Chapter rapid assault force will then follow or strike through any opening created by the armored force to end the enemy.
When the enemy is heavily entrenched and shock and awe tactic does not work, the Iron Praetorians fall back to siege warfare and begin to tear the enemy bit by bit until any openings that manifest allows the rapid assault force of the Chapter to breakthrough and lead the rest of the chapter in an all out attack.
Since their founding, the Iron Praetorians have honored their Primach but revere the Emperor as their main Chapter Beliefs. As being a Codex Compliant Chapter, the Iron Praetorians adopt the core philosophy as their preparation for battle. Being a Fleet Based Chapter, the Iron Praetorians became adept at warfare against the myriad dangers of the void and the Imperium.
(Work in Progress)
Notable Iron Praetorians
Praetor Davon Aurellia
Praetor Octavius Maximus
- The relic Thunder Culverin is a mastercrafted Thunder Cannon made by an unknown Techmarine during the early days of the Chapter. The relic is known for its relative small size but packing the potent firepower of the original version.
Fist of Krios
- The Fist is a potent thunder hammer crafted by a unknown artisan. The hammer utilize several archaic lightning and electrical tech that makes each hit emits a shockwave blast. The Fist is currently in the possession of the Praetor Octavius.
As of present state, the Iron Praetorian Chapter possess several different Imperial vessel alongside the standard Space Marine vessels.
- Wrath of Sigma (Battle Barge)
- Sword of Dorn (Battle Barge) (Lost in Warp)
- Light of Dorn (Emperor class Battleship)
- Iron Chariot (Mars class Battlecruiser)
- Aquillon (Strike Cruiser)
- Swiftsword (Strike Cruiser)
- Gladius (Strike Cruiser) (Lost in Warp)
- Agarius (Strike Cruiser)
- Kataphron (Strike Cruiser) (Lost in Warp)
- Venarius (Strike Cruiser)
- Ilphirim (Strike Cruiser)
Feel free to add