- "While others fight for personal honor and pride, we fight not for honor, not for glory, but for the God-Emperor and his holy Imperium! That is why victory is certain!"
- —Lieutenant Carus Gerbret before the regiment's arrival to assist in the Drendix Crusade
Following the defense of the Klani system, they went on to serve in several more campaigns, assisting other regiments and and fighting off the enemies of the God-Emperor. They were present at battles such as the Drendix Crusade, and held the line while the Hammer Guard and Novus Krakens defeated the Ork WAAAGHs.
The 8th Costellian, having only been around for 51 years as of 999.M41, have a short history compared to regiments like that of the legendary 8th Cadian. Despite this, the 8th Costellian have a growing list of victories, as they travel the galaxy in defense of the Imperium.
- Helbricht Campaign (949.M41) - The 8th Costellian's first battle, they were assigned to defend the Agri-world of Helbricht from an Ork WAAAGH that threatened to take over the planet, and therefore starve the Hive Worlds nearby. Using their skills as snipers and scouts, they aided their heavier armed regiments, the 552nd Death Korps and the 252nd Erde Armored. During the final assaults they would contribute many of their troopers to the front lines, with their snipers covering the advancing armies. The fighting would take a toll on the Raiders, losing many troopers on the front lines as time and time again the Orks overwhelmed them, causing fighting in the trenches that the Raiders had not been trained for. It ended in the death of the Ork Warboss and the extermination of all Orks on the planet
- Siege of Solaritus (960.M41) - During the 2nd Founding on the planet Solaritus, Capital of Sub-Sector Solaritus, the planet was besieged by cultists. The Raiders would be part of the 2 regiment force coming to defend the planet, and would hold out for a year in the eternal rain of Solaritus until a strike force of the Hammer Guard chapter of Space Marines, whose former home planet resides in the sub-sector, arrived to end the siege. This siege would take a heavy toll on the Raiders, and the regiment was reduced to a third of it's original fighting strength. This battle would also have a major effect on the planet, as most of it's cities were destroyed and the citizens, wanting revenge, would start training their regiments for siege warfare, to be prepared for this exact situation.
- Battle of Ezsu (967.M41) - The 8th Costellian, supported again by the 252nd Erde Armored, among other regiments, would be deployed to take a world vital to a sector-wide chaos cult, as part of a larger crusade. Their main objective was a large fortress, on the western bank of a large canal. While the other regiments would be sent off as part of the main force attacking the fortress, the Raiders would be sent across the canal to surprise the attackers. The Raiders set up their few mortar teams on the eastern bank, along with their sniper cadres, while the rest of the regiment would cross. The defending army was too busy focusing on the large main force to notice the Raiders, and with their camo-cloaks the Raiders were able to infiltrate the fortress. Once inside, the revealed themselves in a flurry of lasfire, as their mortar teams began shelling and sniper cadres picked off any target of value within range. With the defenders distracted, the main force would -quite literally- break down the main gate, thousands of guardsmen charging into the fortress, and it fell an hour later.
- Drendix Crusade (977.M41 -- 980.M41) - In 977.M41 a distress call was sent out, stating that the Hive World of Drendix was under assault by 2 massive Ork WAAAGHs. In response, Segmentum Command would send the 8th Costellian and 97th Craketun to defend the planet. Along with the Hammer Guard chapter of Adeptus Astartes, the planet would be defended for 3 years, in a brutal and grinding siege. Eventually the constant attacks took their toll, and soon enough a wall of Hammer Guard heavy bolter turrets would be crushed, as the Ork WAAAGH blew them apart with lotted Leman Russ tanks. As all seemed lost, hope would be found again as Aqua-colored turrets crashed down, replacing the Hammer Guard's destroyed turrets. These were already ready and firing, , and announced the arrival of another chapter of Adeptus Astartes: the Novus Krakens. With the might of another chapter at their bakcs, the Hammer Guard ended the siege, pushing forwards while the Raiders and the Craketun stood the line against the Orks who had gotten past the Astartes. After 3 years of siege the Drendix Crusade would end, and the Raiders would get to use their skills once more, as they had been stuck in trenches instead of ahead of their armies, doing reconnaissance.
The Homeworld of the 8th Costellian, Costellia, is classified as a Death World, and this is evident after a single step onto the desert wasteland. Most of the planet was blasted and destroyed as part of an unknown battle soon after the Horus Heresy, and remains of the battle still lay scattered amongst the desert. This is where the Costellians make their homes, using the ruins as shelter and creating tribes and cities out of what they find in the wasteland.
The Costellians, despite being made up of several different tribes across the planet, are close with one another, practicing the ways of brotherhood throughout the wasteland, as they have realised they need each other, as well as the God-Emperor's light, to survive. This, ironically, has caused them to be split into five castes so that the community can thrive. Each caste has it's own job in the community, and all are valued equally. The Warrior Caste is trained for the Imperium, as well as to hunt and defend the tribe from bandits; the Scavenger Caste searches the wastes for anything they think will help improve the tribe; the Feeder Caste grows any plants that survive in the wastes, as well as cook for the tribe; and the Sultan Caste deal with the politics between tribes. The Priest Caste makes sure the population maintains their worship of the God-Emperor, and keeps the spirits up in the harsh wastes
Recruitment and Reinforcement
Warriors are a part of their caste from birth, and are trained their entire lives so that they can fight for the Imperium and their homeworld. It does not matter what sex they are, they are expected to be the best of the best, and those that fail are selected for different castes, never given the chance to fight again. This creates a tough breed of guardsman, who follow orders and their training, trained every day that backing down in the field is dishonoring one's tribe and the Imperium as a whole.
If they were in need of reinforcements, a Costellian Regiment would receive the best of the best from their homeworld, already trained and ready to fight.
The 8th Costellian are a light infantry regiment, meaning they lack many heavy weapons and are excellent snipers. Thus, their equipment in the field reflects this.
The Weapons of the 8th Costellian are picked for range, as the Costellians were trained to engage targets at range to minimize the risk of a deadly toxic bite or poisoned blade of the wasteland bandits, but in case of close quarters combat they have a backup.
- Triplex Phall M-Galaxy lasgun, favored for it's scope
- Long-Las, used by snipers
- Kantrael pattern laspistol
- Combat knife
- Frag and Krak grenades
Armor and Miscellaneous equipment
The 8th Costellian Raiders are a stealth and scout light infantry regiment, and so they do not carry a lot as that would only weigh them down.
- The Costellian camo-cloak is a unique type of camo-cloak made only for the Costellian Regiments. The Warrior Caste is trained with these, and the Raiders have grown to think of it like a body part, as valuable as an arm or a leg.
- Combat Ration packs
- Dog tags
- Medi-packs for medical officers
- Costellian Gas Mask
- Each tribe on Costellia has their own design to the gas mask made in the Costellian system, and each Raider wears their mask with pride, it is what still keeps them unique in the regiment, and it links together members of the same tribe, who share a closer bond than those of different tribes. A Raider's mask is his life, and to damage one is to declare war on the entire regiment.
- Flak Armor
- Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
The 8th Costellian often ambush their enemies, sometimes waiting days wrapped in their camo-cloaks for their enemy to show it's head. They also track enemies to critical locations to report back to the commanders of the campaign. When engaged in open combat they fight their enemies at range, employing their excellent aim. They are often supported or supporting other infantry regiments or armor regiments, and will provide any cover necessary for their ally's objective.